This is my second time to watch the movie, “Hotel Rwanda,” and I was on eighth grade when I first watched it. At that time, my English skill was even weaker, so that only the strong scenes were left in my memory, without understanding the story of it. And I most clearly remember that scene when Paul saw the road with hundreds of dead bodies on foggy dawn. I can not imagine how it would feel like, standing alive alone on the mountains of corpse in actuality. There will be something that we can not feel by just watching it as unrealistic issue going on far away.
Now that I understood what is going on in this movie and issue, there were many things I couldn’t found out back then. For example, one of the scene that most impacted me when I saw the movie second time was when Paul called everyone in the Hotel. He started to tell people, to call all others they knew, and say good-bye. He said that; tell people, that they will die. So that all people who heard about what is happening in Rwanda, and did noting, will be guilty and shameful greatly. I think this scene is so important and essential, containing whole message to the audience of this movie as well. People who committed this issue, and people, who knew about it but did nothing, are no difference. This scene is intentionally made to make those people shameful; that is what I felt in this scene.
I believe that this whole movie is a message itself. Movie is trying to tell us what happened in Rwanda; how many precious lives went off, failing to get help from any others. Crowd around Rwanda remained as spectators, thinking there is not much need to help smaller number of people in smaller weak country. And it is a tragedy that people were thinking an issue as a country unit, not seeing the importance of each individual life. Life can not be explained by a word ‘important.’ It can not be valued by money, or number of it. In my opinion, this movie is intentionally trying to make all of the audience, shameful, so that this kind of tragedy will not going to happen any more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
THey Elise^^
This is also my second time watching the "Hotel Rwanda" and I too feel that I have better understanding of the movie after watching it twice.
My point of view towards the movie was similar to yours. I also believe that the intentions of filim was to not repeat the same mistake itself and to respect the each and indivisuals without the comparison among the different ehtnic groups.
I really enjoy taking peak at your thoughts!!!:)
Post a Comment